Welcome to Land of Oz Dolls

Welcome to Land of Oz Dolls
Museum Quality Antique Reproduction Dolls by Connie Zink Land of Oz Dolls

Monday, May 14, 2012

Sad News Tonight

Well, it has been a difficult evening. Please don't anyone think that this has affected our house or Land of Oz Doll's shop' but many of the storage units south of Savanna across from the airport went up in smoke tonight. One of those storage units was ours. They don't know the cause yet but it affected probably about 20 units. We just lost the 33 years of doll molds we have collected. (Only doll molds were in the shed, it did not affect any of our other inventory) As all of you know who do dolls, molds are not worth a whole lot when it comes to selling them, but what I had in that shed was well over $100,000 that I had paid for them. Most of those molds are not replacable as many of the companies are out of business now. Even if they were, I could not begin to replace them, they were not insured. You can't insure something like that in an off the premises policy. This development will make a huge difference in my soft-fired greenware business. If you have something ordered currently please bear with me as we start to sort out the orders we have and compare it to the molds we have lost. Some orders are in progress and the molds were here at home in Dennis's pouring room, but many were not. I know there is a few people that we will have to refund their money. I will know in a couple days who needs a refund. We are not totally moldless, a few of the more popular molds we poured all the time are safe in Dennis's pouring room, and we do still have that whole garage full of molds, that my friend Marilyn, gave us last month. I guess this will be the incentive to start sorting thru all of them and getting a list of what we have. All those molds were in my daughter's garage and are safe. It is very sad, aside from all the money invested, there is so much doll history there that is lost to me, but never fear I still have enough doll molds to make dolls, my selection has just gotten a lot smaller to choose from. Well, it is about 1:00 am, I guess I should go to bed. I will go out in the morning and see if anything is able to be saved or not. I don't think so, the hottest part of the fire was in units pretty close to mine and the roofs are all off now, plus the smoke and water damage. So thankful no one was hurt and my heart goes out to the Prowant family that owned the storgae units, it is a monumental loss for them. Goodnight everyone. Connie

3 comments:

jenann said...

Though relieved that neither you nor anybody else was hurt, I am so very, very sorry to hear of this disaster.
Thinking of you,
Jenni

Miss Gladys said...

I also, am relieved no one was hurt. I know this loss is devastating. I wish I lived out there as I would offer to help you sort through your molds in the garages. I will say a prayer for you and your family and the family that owned the storage units. Miss Gladys

Anonymous said...

So sorry...can molds be made from existing dolls?